Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Get To Know... Gangbusters

I'm really excited to introduce you guys to Kristina, who runs the shop, Gangbusters. I met her last year at the Indie Craft Experience, here in Atlanta, where she had her booth across from mine. And now, we've become friends and knit on the occasional Tuesday for our weekly craft night. She makes resin pendants and cuff links using old and vintage comic books and other random finds. Her booth was a big hit at the Junktique show that I blogged about. So here are her sentences, and yes, she's giving something away!
I am…a firm believer in doing whatever you can to keep yourself happy. I don't keep clothes that don't fit, agonize over projects I don't care about, hang out with people I'm not comfortable around, or eat when I'm not hungry. And I try never to compare myself to anybody else. It seems to work.

I was…trying to be an illustrator for a while. I love to draw. But creative goals freak me out. That's true whether I'm working on someone else's project, like a big commissioned painting, or a long-term project of my own, like a children's book. So I have a big crate of sketchbooks at home, full of drawings that might make adorable kids' books, but you can't have a book with only one picture of a bunny. You have to draw that same bunny over and over again. Just talking about it is making me a little fidgety.

I will be…forever delighted every time I see someone wearing my jewelry out into the world. That just never gets old. I love seeing my prints in people's homes, too. I don't think it's vanity, because it's not about me, it's about the work and the fact that it's making someone happy. It's tough to explain. It's just nice.

In a past life I…was probably a way better dancer. I love music. Sometimes I feel like I'm dancing and then I find out that's not really what I'm doing. Usually someone tells me. Or makes a face.

Many people don’t know that I…know the words to "We Didn't Start the Fire." I couldn't get enough of that song for about a month when I was 12. I listened to the tape on my Walkman everywhere I went. I also had a huge crush on Jeff Goldblum in high school after we read Jurassic Park for class, so I guess I was just a weird kid.

Most nights, you can find me…far away from the computer. It's a big change, because up until a few years ago, I was always on the computer in my free time. In fact, got into graphic design originally as a hobby. Now it's a job, and I feel like eight hours of computer time is enough in a day. So I hang out at home with my boyfriend and make stuff with my hands—jewelry or crafts or food—or I go out.

I’d like to learn to…drive a stick shift, style my hair, run a business, talk to strangers, write great fiction, play a team sport, and mimic every accent in the world. Every one, even Welsh. Accents are The Coolest.

I can’t believe I…live in Atlanta. Growing up, I didn't have a very flattering picture of the South. My opinion of Georgia was more or less based on shows like "Designing Women" and "Green Acres." I thought I'd get here and be surrounded by easily-affronted women who faint at the drop of a hat, and coverall-clad men with a penchant for getting into wacky mix-ups. I was wrong. I like it here.

If I won the lottery, I would…get my mom and grandma a place here in Atlanta and pay someone to load them and all their stuff up into a truck. Apparently, and I don't know if you've heard anything about this, it's difficult to sell a house in South Florida right now.

I’d like to thank the Academy for…always giving lots of awards to Nick Park and Aardman. I know that's a literal answer, but it's true. Their work has always been an inspiration. Park has taken sort of an offbeat talent and focused it into making really unusual, fascinating things. So many brilliant minds at Aardman have gotten together and put thousands of hours of hard work and innovation into a field that strives only to achieve widespread joy. And they receive legitimate respect and recognition for it. It's nice to see evidence that it's possible to find success without folding yourself up to fit into existing niches.
And now for the giveaway! Kristina is graciously giving one lucky winner a choice of any item from her shop! To enter, leave a comment and let me know your favorite item(s) in her shop and what comic books or strips you enjoy now or did while growing up. You must leave your name and e-mail address to be entered. Any entries without both will not be put into the drawing. You have until Monday, Dec 7th to enter, and I will announce the winner on Tuesday.

For additional entries:
1. Become a fan of Gangbusters on Facebook, and write on her wall.
2. Twitter about this giveaway. Please have @juneshindesigns in the tweet so I can track it.
3. Become a June Shin facebook fan and say hi!
4. Join my mailing list and let me know that you did. You can do that from my blog on the upper right.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What wonderful pieces. So unique!

Kristina said...

Love the feature, June. This blog rules.

Good luck, everybody! Win prizes!

Unknown said...

Go Gangbusters!!!!!

San Smith said...

I love her stuff!

Unknown said...

Hands down, Hong Kong nights is my favorite pendant! So fun!!!!
Ya Gangbusters!

Ngan {eNVe Designs} said...

awesome shop! my favs are the veronica lodge and spider man pendants. I used to collect Archie comics when I was younger and just loved comics (mainly the Sunday comics). :)

Waterrose said...

What a great interview! Funny and enlightening!

I love the Veronica pendant...grew up with Archies comic books...loved her!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18677288

waterrose at mac dot com

Deanna said...

nice! super cool stuff to both of yall! archie rules :)