Thursday, April 30, 2009

How to make tent weights with PVC pipes

If you do an outdoor craft show, you'll need a tent and weights for the tent so that it doesn't blow away in windy weather. People come up with many different ways of weighing them down with either dumb bells, gallon jugs, cinder blocks, etc. A pretty popular method is creating weights using PVC pipes. I decided to make my own in time for the Inman Park Festival.

Things you'll need:
Four 3" PVC pipes
Four end caps
Four eye hooks
cement
Bucket to mix the cement
Mix the cement with water according to the directions on the bag. I thought it would be a creamy mixture, but it's very rocky and grainy.
I just took a plastic cup to put the cement into the pipes. I actually ran a little low for the last pipe, so I just mixed in rocks from the yard to fill it up. Then just stick the eye hooks into the cement and leave it outside to dry. It takes about 24 hours to solidify. Then voila! just hook them to your tent with some bungee cords.

5 comments:

cc said...

first, kimchee-making, and now cement-mixing, yowser!!! is there anything you can't do??

infraredstudio said...

Thanks for the tip. I made them myself last night thanks to your blog. I used 2 inch tube instead, they may not be heavy enough but well see.

lauren

Molly said...

How tall did you make each pipe???

Mutuelle sante said...

Thank you it has been a fantastic guide, now to make tent weights with pvc pipes is without a doubt easy utilizing your advice. Thanks

Unknown said...

PVC is one of the most common plastic used in construction..these PVC pipe is long lasting. Pvc is the most suitable plastic used in building and construction.
plastic fabricators