Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Getting Organized - Jewelry Desk

At the start of this year, I was going through a creative rut and channeled my energy into organizing some things around the house and in my life. I was determined to get a desk for my jewelry tools and supplies, so that I could move off the dining table and free it up for G's cooking endeavors. While browsing the internet for desks, I decided the best thing for me would be a secretary desk. That way, I would be able to hide the messy contents of my "jewelry bench." Ikea had the perfect one, the Alve Secretary Desk. For this desk, they have a storage bench where you can put hanging files and such, and fits perfectly under the desk. I was so excited to find all this, because I didn't have a dedicated space for my jewelry. I was constantly taking out my supplies, then putting them away. It was fine when I first started, but my supplies and materials have grown so much, that I really needed to do something about it. And the best part of this is that I found the desk on Craigslist for $80! Score!
I also bought a slim storage tower to put beside my desk and multi-drawer cabinets, seen on top of it, all from the Container Store. I do think that stuff from the Container Store can be a bit pricey, but I couldn't find anything else that would fit so perfectly in my space.

There is also an add on cabinet from Ikea which fits above the desk, that I plan on purchasing in the near future. Those multi-drawer cabinets are great, but not very pretty. So the cabinet will hide it all very nicely.

2 comments:

Amy (the b-line) said...

Nice! I'm redoing my studio right now as well. Storage is key! I'll post pix as soon as it's finished.

Hope you enjoy your new working area!
Amy

Feminine Personae said...

what fun new stuff at your etsy store! nice storage idea too... i can't stand all my plastic containers myself...what a chore it is to keep closing it, putting it away, and then taking it out again...the whole thought makes me lazy... and a little crazy!